Thursday 4 April 2019

s p e c t a c l e f o r s p e c t a c l e ' s s a k e


Went to see that Anne Imehof performance at the Tate and it was mad! So much going with so much spectacle involved; pouring bags of sugar onto each other from heights, throwing cans of larger around, setting things on fire. I enjoyed it for the same reasons I like the fast and furious franchise – it’s pure spectacle. I’m not sure if this makes it good art or not, in the same way that the fast and furious films aren’t necessarily great works of cinema. However, I do find them entertaining and I can’t deny that – the story is weak (and that’s being kind) and the characters are as 2 dimensional as they come but it’s not why I watch them. I don’t want all the films/art I see to be like this and it’s not a product that I want to be involved in making but it’s definitely something I enjoy in the moment.